DoN. Nichols

Default Spam from Korea

In article ,
Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:
Is anyone besides me getting a spam from Korea which you can't get rid of
it? Twice now I have received one, which, once clicked on to delete,
automatically sends you to a porno web site. Once there, there's no way to
get rid of it, at least not with my limited experience with computers.

First -- don't use Outlook Express (which your headers say you
are using). It is the virus writer's friend, and the friend of spammers
who want to take control of your computer.

Second -- if you're considering using a web browser as an e-mail
program, get Mozilla and go though the edit/preferences/security and
edit/preferences/advanced menus, turning off things which you don't
*know* you need. In particular, turn off JavaScript for e-mail. That
is what allows the spammers to take control of your computer.

Three times I just turned off the computer then waited while it did a
Scandisk to verify for errors.

Bad practice. It can lead to sufficient damage to your disk so
you'll be forced to do a re-install. Just pull the modem line out of
the wall phone jack (if you're using a dial-up account), or disconnect
from your cable modem or other net connection. Then the spam can't
reach their web site, and will time out, allowing you to finally kill
it.

Out of frustration, I finally deleted the
Korea folder, which got rid of the email, then remade the Korea folder.
For the past year I've been shuttling the spam from Korea to a folder, where
I do a bulk delete to simplify getting rid of the unwelcome garbage. It
makes me wonder aloud why I didn't (and now don't) simply send them to the
deleted items file.

I use an e-mail program (mutt) which doesn't do HTML or
JavaScript. (Mutt is not available for Windows machines, so you are out
of luck with that one, but there are several good Windows e-mail
programs.

I also have blocked every IP address block from Korea which has
spammed me, along with a lot of China, Taiwan, Argentina, Brazil, and
quite a few other places. (But that requires control of your own mail
server, not too likely on a Windows box.)

I'm using a Bayesian filtering program to shuttle most spam to a
"purgatory" box.

I'm blocking receipt of any e-mail near 100K or larger. (Which
may block valid e-mail attachments, too, but it has shut off the flow of
the "Swen" virus, along with several others, all of which are larger
than my threshold.

I'm scanning e-mail not from mailing list for any of the
following strings in the body:

name=*.exe
name=*.bat
name=*.pif
name=*.scr
name=*.com
/iframe

and some others. Anything which matches one of those goes into a VIRII
folder.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564