Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default saw something really unsafe yesterday:(

wrote:
Went to dinner at a local pizza hut. It was a zoo being valentines
day.

I noted they replaced all their outdoor accent light bulbs with
compact fluroscents, a good move to save energy

However they are all mounted upside down All of my compact
fluroscents warn not to do this. I figure the heat rising from the
lamp will overheat the ballast built inside the lamp base.
worse all of these fixtures are sealed glass rounds so there is little
or no natural air circulation.

Is this a fire hazard and who should I inform?

I just checked the four kinds I have representing three totally
different designs and not one indicated anything about base down. Three
indicated not to use with a dimmer (the third I could not read anything on
it) and none indicated anything about base up or down. Three indicated to
keep always from moisture and two indicated that they should not be used in
a "totally" enclosed fixture.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit