Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

Default Help with laminating stock

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

What's the proper technique for laminating two pieces of 3/4 x 5 x 36
inch maple? I surface and thickness planed rough stock down to 3/4,
brushed on a layer of Titebond to each face, mated them and clamped
along the length of each edge until the glue oozed out a bit. But when
it dried and I removed the glue beads I noticed that it did not mate as
close as I'd hoped for. What kind of rookie mistake did I make here?

Thanks!

Most likely is improper clamping/pressure or too much glue or both. When I
clamp long stock that the glued edge will show, I use a poly glue (Gorilla
or eq) and cauls. For your application, I would have used cauls 40" long,
curved +/- 3/16" from center to the end of the caul. Clamps every 5-6"
alternating each side. (Total clamps, 14) With this clamping plan, be
careful not to over tighten any one clamp. Start in center and work your
way out to the ends.

Dave