Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Mark Fergerson

Default Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

Pooh Bear wrote:

Richard the Dreaded Libertarian wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:02:01 +0000, Pooh Bear wrote:

Todd Rich wrote:

And if they would allow the reprocessing of the fuel rods it would cut
down dramatically on the amount of waste produced.

In the UK the pollution associated with nuclear energy comes primarily from the
*re-processing* !

And while the
remaining waste is much hotter, it lasts for signifigantly less time.

You *are* joking ? How on earth can you make that statement ? The scary stuff
doesn't just 'go away' !

Yes, that's the point - that's exactly what it does, eventually. Remember
"half-life"? ;-)

Actaully it never 'goes awy' at all. There's always some radioactivity there.

Btw. I meant reprocessing doesn't make the radioactivity go away.

I came to the conclusion that most self-professed "Ecologistas" are
deliberate idiots. One large clue was when I carried a survey meter on a
backpacking trip into Sequioa National Park and waved it through the
smoke from a campfire some Ecologistas had built from fallen old-growth
wood. The meter went nuts, of course, but none of them _wanted_ to
comprehend why. Then I showed them that sitting on granite boulders
irradiated their nether regions...

BTW, global temperatures regularly go through wide excursions, often
lasting much longer than the miniscule periods Ecologistas want to talk
about (say 1800-today). Frinst, the dinosaurs got along quite nicely for
dozens of megayears with the global temperature a good five degrees
warmer than today's most pessimistic average estimates. Frinst, at the
beginning of the Triassic, global temps averaged 50-60F.

Granted there was a lot of desertification, but there was only one
continent straddling the equator for much of that period. Today's
continental arrangement proffers different global heat distribution.

And of course, dinos didn't have air conditioning. ;)

Besides, the Solar Constant isn't; the sun has steadily gotten
brighter since it first lit up, and is going through a short-term
"bright" phase despite the current relatively low sunspot count (cf.
"Maunder Minimum").

"Chicken Little" is short-sighted.

Mark L. Fergerson