Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default preparing an offer on house that has easement for septic tank in neighbors yard

v wrote:
On 13 Feb 2006 19:30:43 -0800, someone wrote:

If you do proceed (without a new system in your backyard) get a HEFTY
reduction in price.

Big talk. Easy to do from behind your keyboard. The price it is at
NOW may (or may not) be a fair market price WITH the septic on the
neighbor's land. What if the price is ALREADY thousands of dollars
below that of similar houses with their septic systems on their own
land? Then to get even more off, you'd be "double counting" the
septic easment discount.

The "market" may not even recognize any discount here. WTF is it to
you if you have a right to have your septic tank on your neighbor's
land???? More likely to reduce the sale price of the neighbor's place
than yours, who'd want to buy a place with the other guy's septic on
it? But really, what is wrong, how does it inconvenience you in any
way, if you can foist your leach field off on your neighbor? The
title search will verify the easement. What's the problem actually?

While this is not common, I have heard of it before.

What's the problem? How about when it comes time for replacement and
the next door neighbor who by then may hate you for whatever reason,
decides to make life as difficult as possible for you. Who knows how
big the easement is, what landscaping, fencing, etc the neighbor has
nearby the area, or how accessable it is. If he decides he wants to
give you a hard time with regard to access for equipment, where they
can pile dirt, etc, a job that could cost 15K in your own backyard
could cost $50K in not only construction costs, but legal costs as the
neighbor tries to limit what you can do. And I could see many
neighbors trying to severly limit what you do as you dig up a stinking
mess in their back yard. As an example, in your own back yard, if the
contractor wants to remove dirt and put it in a pile, you can just say,
OK, put it there. In the neighbors yard, the dirt might have to be
moved out by wheelbarrow to be piled somewhere else.

And I think the point of making sure the price reflects this, as Harry
suggested, is a good idea. Unless this property is favorably priced,
there are plenty of other homes to buy. I'd want to know why the
septic system is on someone else's property. And if there were no way
to put one on the house's own property or option to connect to city
sewer, I'd move on to the next house.