Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
carneyke

Default Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

Don,
As usual, you have done an excellent job replying to a post ! I have
never read any of your replies containing insults. That is very
difficult to do, you must have very thick skin !!
Don Klipstein wrote:
In .com, carneyke wrote:

Speaking of Climate change. Five years ago we were in pre-drought
conditions and it was that way for 2-3 years (some towns were in
drought status). We didn't get the spring rain and summer was very dry.
Then along came the rain in October 2002 and we have had nothing but
full to capacity reservoirs since (even in late summer). They were
talking about tapping the Hudson (even more than done now), flooding
lowlands to build more reservioirs and building moratoriums. This
weather is very screwy.... I do remember what someone mentioned earlier
about the ice age coming again (as they sat in the gas line in 1974
listening to the radio).

The weather sometimes gets into ruts that last a few years to even about
a decade. Examples:

1. The "Dust Bowl" years with quite a bit of warmth in the USA as well as
the more-famous drought. Many US states have alltime high temperature
records from an early July 1936 heatwave that remain. Philadelphia's
warmest January by a significant margin was that of 1932. Many lesser
records such as local high temperature records for many dates in these
years also make these years stand out.

2. Hurricanes sometimes end up in "ruts":

a) Hurricanes disproportionately avoided the East Coast above the NC-VA
border between 1900 and the famous 1944 storm.

b) In the early 1950's and the past few years hurricanes picked on
southern Florida.

c) In the late 1950's and the early 1960's the East Coast farther north
got more than their fair share of major hurricanes.

d) From the 1970's to the early 1990's the USA largely got hit less
by huricanes than it usually did.

3. The mid-Atlantic/Northeast (at least Philadelphia) had unusual lack of
extreme heat and cold from the late 1960's to the mid 1970's.

4. The Northeast and Mid-Atlantic had a bunch of severe winters from the
late 1970's into the early-mid 1980's.

5. The Midatlantic/Northeast had a string of really hot summers from
1991-1995. Philadelphia 2 or 3 times in that period broke a "hottest
summer" record, after the summer of 1988 tied an old one.

- Don Klipstein )