Posted to alt.math,sci.math,sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Omndiagonal Serialization and Monitor Design

Hell, alt.math, sci.math, and sci.electronic.design.

I have put my machine tool interests on the back burner and am pursuing
a monitor, video, and data format I think I may have come up with
originally, although some of it is known.

What I want to do is build some wave files and display them on my Tek
541 oscilloscope to start with.. They will have x and y values between
the extremes of plus and minus 15 bits (+- 32,767) at CD audio rate
(44.1 kss) on the left and right audio channels. I will use Mathcad to
compute the values to be converted from digital to analog audio.

x and y have some constraints. The will either be coprime or have a
sole comon factor of 2. My method of omnidiagonally serializing the
elements of the x by y bitmap, which I repeat may not be original, is
to start at a corner, or adjacent a corner, choosing by whether x and y
are coprime or have that common factor of 2, respectively, then to
trace the diagonal to a side, move along the side one increment, and
"reflect" the trace in that way.

While there are no upper bonds on x and y other than the 16 bits
available in most D/A converters, the atomic scan modes and bitmaps are
specific: they are 3x5 and 4x6. 3x5 is the atomic open serialization,
and 4x6 the atomic closed serilization. The open serilization begins
and ends in a diagonally opposite corners. The closed serialization
forms a continuous loop, and closed serilizations seem suitable for a
monitor design. So you can see that unlike conventional rasters, the
frequencies are in proportion to the aspect ratio, given square pixels.

I believe I can break into the electron microscope and medical monitor
field with this notion. Computer hardware is a more resistant and
well-developed market where backward compatibility is essential, and I
also do not know if there will be a convergence problem with any
attempts to produce color.

CRTs are required for this method. It's not relevant to plasma or LCD
displays, although an extension to video compression could be
implemented in software and compressed video displayed on CRT, LCD,
plasma, or any other display. Also, it might be fun to produce a
display for Microsoft Media Player or another player using this method,
deflecting the trace normal to its direction of movement.

Does any media player you know of accept drop-ins or plug-ins that
provide a display to accompany audio?

One advantage of this notion for CRTs is that the display always stays
centered. The deflections are simple triangle waves. The actual drives
to a conventional coil-yoked electromagnetically-deflected CRT are
somewhat involved as there is an impedance in the circuit. A Hammond B3
organ or emulator might come in handy for development, with its
approximations to musical intervals in the form of wheels and gears. My
Tek scope is electrostatically deflected. We'll have to see what works.

Another advantage is zoom ability. When the display is centered, and
stays that way, merely "turning up the volume" gives a zoom.
Conventional integrated amplifier volume controls provide some 70 db of
"zoom". That's a lot more than a monitor would need.

Are there any methods to prevent reflection of an electron beam from an
envelope when a raster is zoomed larger than the screen?

Would a slightly different envelope shape avoid the reflections usually
seen when a monitor is severely overscanned?

Where do these reflection occur and how?

I have given disclosure in the past so this method is not patentable.
You may consider it open source and I would like some advice on using
the GNU intellectual property licensing method, should I or we develop
anything of significant value.

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research
Falls Church, VA 22044-0394