Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default impact wrench, to buy or not to buy

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
I'd also be wary of a cheap impact, it might not have the power you
need. If it were me, i'd put the money towards a small compressor, that
has many more uses, and you can then buy a air impact (and all the
other useful air accessories ..)

My problem is not having a garage to work in so air tools would be a pest
since compressors are heavy things to move around. Suppose I could put one
in the cellar and pipe the air to outside, but electric tools are just
more convenient if expensive. Got a super electric nibbler off Ebay
secondhand - cost a fortune new.

Yes, I'm in a residential area (obviously) so had to box in my
compressor with some fairly hefty insulation to get the thing quiet
enough.,

Thankfully I also have a detached brick garage, which helps a lot.

Impact wrenches are noisy, but I use it fairly infrequently in favour
of a 1/2" strongarm. You know by looking at the nut whether it's going
to need impact as if you don't it'll shear off.

The joys of old motorbikes ..

P.