Gunner

Default Straighten a acme lead screw?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:36:39 +0200, J. Nielsen
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:16:21 GMT, Gunner wrote:

The nut is held in with a couple of large screws, both directly under
the screw. The screw has to come out to get to the nut fasteners..and
it wont come out because of the bend...sigh. Now I have to figure out
a way to straighten it while its still in the machine, though fully
exposed. The nut is a long cast iron "tube" tapped inside for the
thread

I suppose I could take a die grinder and cut away that flange that
holds the screw from going the other direction..but it aint gonna be
pretty....

You could try straighten the screw by heating the bend with an acetylene
torch. If you heat it to cherry-red it will bend easily. Perhaps you can
straighten it by running it through the lead nut while it's still red?

Don't worry about ruining the hardening, the screw is probably soft anyway
- besides, it's not a swiss clockwork we're dealing with here. g

I think this is my only option at the moment. The Nut is a hotdog
shaped piece of cast iron, and will not take a lot of pressure, if I
try to do a pipe and force straighting, and there is not too many
places I can clamp it, to take the pressure off the nut. The screw is
pretty darned soft btw.

Master Carr doesnt carry 8 tpi 7/8" acme screw..or its not listed in
my yellow book..sigh..so Ill try the red heat thing with a rosebud,
then back it through the nut, unless anyone
thinks this is a "Bad Idea".

Anyone?

Gunner

"Anyone who cannot cope with firearms is not fully human. At best he
is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not
make messes in the house."
With appologies to RAH..