Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default tractor alternator

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Basically, avoid the old Lucas designs (especially the ubiquitous ACR).
The more recent stuff was nothing like as badly designed.

The ACR fitted to my old P6 Rover simply didn't work as intended. It
claimed to be 45 amps output but couldn't even balance a 40 amp load. I
ended up designing a new regulator (based on an earlier Lucas design) and
fitting it eternally. Had a pot to set the output voltage. No more
problems after that.

The 70 amp one fitted to my SD1 is ok though and has lasted well. It's one
of the ones which could be either Bosch or Lucas and they appear identical.

--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.