Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

Default Want to replace old flat tv cable with better coax.

"jg" wrote in message
oups.com...

You seem to know a lot. Here's a question, if my mast is well grounded
(buried a few feet) do I still need to ground the coax before it enters
the house? The way I see it, the mast will dissipate any charge on the
antenna? Yes?

I try not to give advice on lightning protection. For about 25 years I had
a tower up about 40 feet and never took a hit of any kind. The tower was
not very well grounded and there were about 6 coax cables from various ham
antennas coming into the radio room. None were grounded . There was also a
wire about 130 feet long split in the middle and coax comming into the radio
room. It was up about 30 feet and not grounded in any way. Only damage I
ever took was a couple of telephones over the phone line. The installation
was done by the phone company and I never looked at it to see how well it
was done. Others I have know had well grounded systems and still had their
equipment wiped out by lightning.