Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default remove aluminum off of crankshaft? lye??

On 14 Feb 2006 12:28:49 -0800, wrote:

I am trying to clean up a crankshaft from a briggs & stratton engine.
It has aluminum melted on to it from a low oil condition and thrown
rod.

I learned that Lye can be used to safely dissolve the aluminum and not
hurt the steel. I also kind of understand that muriaic acid can do the
same thing, but if left too long it can damage the journal.

Here's the problem, I can't find Lye anywhere (home depot, walmart,
lowes, CVS) and I think its cause druggies use it for meth or something
like that.

Yes, I think they do. I would just love to take some drugs made with
lye..

Maybe you can find some druggies who use Lye and buy some from them.
Don't involve the police, or do this when the police might know.

As I pointed out several months ago, there are now products called TSP
that don't use Tri-sodium phosphate. I don't know if that makes a
diference to the suggested method, nor do I know if the suggested
method is a good one.

If I can't find lye, will the muriatic acid be ok? is there another
chemical that attacks aluminum but is safe for steel?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.