Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Wobbly Grinding Wheel?

"Harry Curley" wrote in message
. ..
I have a two 8" grinding wheels-grinder for sharping my turning tools. The
one wheel is wobbling quite abit and the other one does not. I have removed
the wobbling wheel and there does not appear to be a damage to the shaft or
the serrated bushing holding the wheel onto the shaft. There are two large
metals discs one of the inside of wheel and one on the outside of the wheel
behind the nut that holds the wheel onto the shaft, There doesn't appear
any excessive wear on the center of the grinding wheel attached to the
shaft. This condition just started recently.
When purchased(3 years ago) both wheels ran true Any suggestions?

I interpret "wobble" to be a left to right and back again. Dressing won't
help this, of course. Bounce, it might. If there's no runout at the end of
the shaft, then your grinder is till sound.

I think your culprit is at the center of the wheel. Turn some wooden
bushings and try them out instead of the factory types. Do an inspection
for damage to the stone while you're at it.

If the washers were thick enough and tight enough to self-align, they might
help. As it is, they're just there to grip the wheel.