Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Wobbly Grinding Wheel?

If this would have happened in a mast production shop I would simply replace
the grinding wheel with a well cured one. Then I would dress it with a
diamond. Before replacing anything I would dress the wobbling grinding
wheel with a diamond dressing tool. BTW look at the Lee Valley catalogue
these diamond tools are not all that expensive around $20.00 - $30-00. Or
you may already have a steel dressing wheel that you could use for the time
being.
If all this failed you may have to dispose of the wobbling wheel and check
the shaft and bearings with a needle gauge. Even when a grinding wheel is
new it is best to true it with a diamond dresser before you use it. The
other issue is the quality and curing of the grinding wheel. Good quality
and properly cured grinding wheel are normally sold for more money.

"Harry Curley" wrote in message
. ..
I have a two 8" grinding wheels-grinder for sharping my turning tools. The
one wheel is wobbling quite abit and the other one does not. I have removed
the wobbling wheel and there does not appear to be a damage to the shaft or
the serrated bushing holding the wheel onto the shaft. There are two large
metals discs one of the inside of wheel and one on the outside of the wheel
behind the nut that holds the wheel onto the shaft, There doesn't appear
any excessive wear on the center of the grinding wheel attached to the
shaft. This condition just started recently.
When purchased(3 years ago) both wheels ran true Any suggestions?