Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

Default NYW Shop Clock..why oh why

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 13 Feb 2006 19:24:43 -0800, "ktc" wrote:

I know Norm bashing is popular but in his defence staining is often
necessary in the real world.

Not by cabinetmakers working at Norm's level, with timber of that
quality.

There are good reasons for staining. Nearly all are a combination of
either cheap timber or ignorant clients. If you're not constrained in
this way then there's no excuse for doing it as Norm does - taking
perfectly fine timber and ruining it.

I have made that point before.

Somebody got all upset wih me and said that Norm was just being
"historically accurate".

Which I thought was just stupid. Why take beautiful wood and cover it up?
If that is some kinda tradition, we don't need it. Wood has its own unique
beauty and it is a crime to cover it up. (Think we can get that legislation
passed?)