Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default one for the chemists

I knew two lady chem teachers that moved away from chemical plants after loosing a husband.
They had worked in the plant, different lab.

Physics is not as dangerous, but when it gets going - it can be deadly.
Engineering can be dangerous - ever go into a blasted out tunnel ? and have it fall in ?

Real life is often tougher than the banker or shoe salesperson thinks.
The rascals are the insurance people - they keep the numbers and always charge more.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Jim McGill wrote:
Being a chemist is actually still a pretty dangerous occupation. The
American Chemical Society publishes stats once a year and it's a rare
year when only one chemist or grad student is killed. Often it's people
doing research that stumble onto some new toxin or some nasty side
reaction that goes "BOOM". Not a terribly big field, so the actuarial
statistics are pretty ugly.

Just after I got my degree from U.W., Seattle, a grad student I knew was
killed by a major explosion that burned up most of the undergrad organic
lab. It was a series of errors, no one of which would have been bad, but
together were deadly. Poor guy was standing right by the hood when it
went and got a lung full of NO2, which instantly became nitric acid and
dissolved his lungs. Probably dead before he hit the floor but a nasty
way to go.

Mac (happy to be out of the lab and programing computers now)