Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Foster

Default Hobby metalworkers around Mobile,AL

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have just recentally gotten started in metalworking (have a 7x12
mini-lathe and mini-mill) and was looking for anyone in the Mobile, AL
area to possibly get a club started, but at least to be able to share
ideas and good places to get metal and stuff locally. Thanks

We launched a club in the San Jose, CA, area a few years ago and it seems to
have worked out well. It's fairly simple to do. I started the ball rolling
by "advertising" on this newsgroup for prospective members. Ten or so
signed up. One had a good sized shop and offered it as a meeting place.
After some e-mail back and forth, we settled on a night (2nd Tuesday, 7:00
PM). About a half dozen showed up for the first meeting. Things settled
out at about 20 members, ten to fifteen of whom typically show up on a given
night.

Our meetings are pretty informal; no officers, no dues. Everyone gets a
chance to show what he's working on, ask about problems, etc. Sometimes
guys get together on their own to work on a project or to check out a piece
of equipment (one guy came over and spent a half hour with my welder before
deciding to buy a similar unit...). Occasionally, someone arranges a tour
of something, etc.

You get the idea. Good luck!

Jerry