Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default sharpening ironworker bar shear

The manual says to set it to a gap of .005" everywhere, doesn't distinguish
between thin and thick stock. I am working with some thin (18ga?) sheet metal
right now and need to cut it cleanly and don't have a Beverly shear so I'm using
the ironworker. It isn't hard to take a shim out afterwards if I need to.

GWE

wrote:

I seem to remember someone posting a message that said that the gap
should be larger when cutting thicker material. Can't remember who it
was. You might see if you can find more information on that before
adjusting the gap to near zero.

Dan

Grant Erwin wrote:

I have a little Scotchman ironworker. It shears structural steel stock fine, but
it hasn't ever worked on sheet metal (gap too big).
Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington