Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default impact wrench, to buy or not to buy

In article ,
dave wrote:
I've been toying with the idea of getting an impact wrench. (battery
elect. driven). I do the (all too) occasional work on the car etc and
have heard how useful these thing are supposed to be (eg getting rusted
nuts off etc). From what I can see though, it'd be tricky to get
something the size of the wrenches I've seen anywhere near an exhaust
nut!

Still, I appreciated views on;

The general usefulness of impact wrenches Any recommendation as to
make/model (£100 limit for me) 1/2 or 3/8?

I've got an unbranded 1/2" drive one bought ages ago for about 25 quid as
it seemed like a good idea. It works ok. But really does little a breaker
bar at less cost can't. Trouble is that for things like removing a
crankshaft pulley bolt where impact would be great it won't fit - whereas
the breaker bar hit with a hammer does.

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.