Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default remove aluminum off of crankshaft? lye??

Sodium Hydroxide to be specific but unless there is just a thin film of
Aluminum, nothing is going to etch Al at any rate that is useful (at room
temp). If there are large chunks, it should not have alloyed with the steel
and should just chip right off. Smaller spatters might be removed with a
scotch brite cleaning pad.

Seriously, the poster that suggested a torch is probably right on, the
melting point of aluminum is far lower than steel. Heat it just short of
cherry red and bang it on the ground or scrape with wire brush.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Lye is the active ingredient in some drain cleaners. Look for the word
"hydroxide" in the ingredients.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am trying to clean up a crankshaft from a briggs & stratton engine.
It has aluminum melted on to it from a low oil condition and thrown
rod.

I learned that Lye can be used to safely dissolve the aluminum and not
hurt the steel. I also kind of understand that muriaic acid can do the
same thing, but if left too long it can damage the journal.

Here's the problem, I can't find Lye anywhere (home depot, walmart,
lowes, CVS) and I think its cause druggies use it for meth or something
like that.

If I can't find lye, will the muriatic acid be ok? is there another
chemical that attacks aluminum but is safe for steel?