Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Billy H

Default Does coating stranded copper wire with solder cause any issues or break any codes?

"Roy L. Fuchs" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:04:45 -0000, "Billy H"
m Gave us:

I'll throw some ideas at you,

What an idiot.

and some titles, my apologies, I don't have
any net citations (I tend to learn from books especially if it's
scientific
technical), but I'll quote from my textbooks. More if you wish.

Think of rubbing an ebonite rod with dry fur.

"An ebonite rod which has been rubbed with dry fur attracts light bodies,
such as small pieces of paper, and it repels another rod which has been
treated in the ame way. A glass rod which has been rubbed with silk also
attracts light bodies, repels another glass rod which has been similarly
rubbed, and attracts an ebonite rod which has been rubbed with fur."

Nice cut and paste. Still doesn't show that YOU actually know
anything about it. It also has nothing to do with the post topic.

"A negative charge placed at any point on an insulated conductor repels
electrons in the material to all parts of the surface, while a positive
charge at any point attracts electrons from all parts.

You're an idiot. An electrostatically charged insulative surface
can only have the electrons pulled off by contact. Not with a single
point on the surface, but only by a wiping action where ALL points on
the surface get touched and only when said contact is by a CONDUCTOR.

That is, a charge
placed anywhere on a conductor effectively spreads all over it, because
the
electrons in the material itself are free to move.

No ****. But you did not say "a conductor" you said "an insulated
conductor". Big difference, idiot.

Insulators do not contain
free electrons, and electrons are not easily seperated from their positive
nuclei; so a charge placed on an insulator does nt spread over its
surface.

That depends on how the charge gets "placed" and where as well.

Ebonite, glass, mica, paraffin wax, sulphur, and dry silk are among the
best
insulators.

mica is the best insulator. Glass is next. "Dry silk" is an
insulator but can be easily "breached" by a voltage that is not that
high.

Dry air and dry gases generally are good insulators in ordinary
circumstances;

That would depend on which gas, dumbass.

moisture in a gas or on the surface of a solid reduces the
insulating properties greatly. Electric forces act *through* (itallicised
in
the text) insulators, which when spoken of in this connection are called
*dielectrics* (itallicised in the text)."

However electrostatic charges behave a bit differently. Make up
your mind what you are yacking off about.

Think of the Gold Leaf Electroscope.

It could have been a lead leaf device. Thin gold leaf just makes the
effect more visible.

Charging by induction.

Not in the above device.

The Electrophorus.

The triboelectric effect. Run and look that one up now.

Faradsy's "ice-pail" experiment.

Who is Faradsy?

Distribution of potential and charge over the surface of a conductor.

If it is a conductor, it isn't merely "on the surface" unless it is in
proximity to an oppositely charged device.

Capacity. Condensors.

Displacement currents.
"Maxwell defined the displacement current as *the quantity of
electricity which is caused to pass normally through one square centimetre
of the dielectric on account of the electric intensity*. If there is a
surface density of charge of Q ESU per sq. cm. on the plate A, a charge Q
moves across each square centimetre of the dielectric from A to Z, so *the
displacement D in the medium is equal to the surface density Q on the
charged plate*.

You're real good at the cut and paste crap, but I'd bet you have no
grasp of it.

The electric intensity, as the cause of the displacement, is
analogous to mechanical stress, and the displacement to mechanical strain.
The energy stored in unit volume of a mechanically strained elastic medium
is 1/2*(stressxstrain). The electrical energy stored in unit volume of the
medium is similarly 1/2x(intensityxdisplacement), or 1/2ED."

With you, the charge is always zero, because you have no potential
for anything but to cut n paste other folk's material.

(confuses my concept somewhat)

Hahahahaha... See... I told you. You be idiot.

Wimhurst machine.

Van de Graff generator.

Gauss's Theorem.

You - pile of ****.

A study of the fuse would likely be good.

The three nerves between the two halves of your brain have fused
open, lobotomy boy.

You're a goddamned retard. The discussion has NOTHING to do with
electrostatics.

I feel sorry for the Original Poster,

He probably feels sorry for you.

the ****e posted in here so far

Then STOP!

may
have scard him off for life. "wow, look what I've done now" he thinks as
the
bar-room is trashed and the ladies run for cover.

You be idiot.

in the controls business of course the amperage very small so thats not
an
issue and we can solder the ends of the wire.

The idea you present on current flow being possibly less at a soldered
in
connection would make a good google search.... If I find anything on
that
I will post it.

Solder is a poorer conductor than copper. Doh!

I'd be interested too, I posted what I said because of studies I did while
working for Philips components; working making magnets with some really
illuminating chemicals,

Is that why you act like you have been lobotomized?

Rare earth magnets. You, however, are not rare at all. Idiots are
everywhere. You are one in ten.

I am one in over 6 billion.

Thanks for making me look so good. Maybe one day, if I ever see a reason to,
I'll repay the compliment.

Oh, and the lines you cut again.

Textbook of electricity and magnetism. G.R. Noakes MA (Oxon) F.Inst.P.

(a man who could express himself without using the word '****tard' or
'retard' or any other derogation I can find).

London, Macmillan. 3rd edition. 1956. Maybe the times have changed.

Oh and Roy, before you explode like a fool, you are sacked as a tutor. Maybe
I'll write you a new standard.

Now butt out, this is no longer your conversation.

Or do you not understand any words of the English language, never mind
electricity? I'll have to assume you do not if you continue.

I recall a converstation with a friend who works for an international
company. He told me you little lot cannot understand the job they do so they
need send us English over to do the thing for you. Just to be sure it is
done proper. You plainly are a stupid fool. Probably, and prima facie
retarded, to use the word properly (and no my brain is not connected to the
mains so I do not respond to postings so fast as you saddo - so I win the
bet).

Were you sexually abused as a child?

Or did you get your knob stuck in the mains once or twice? Maybe that is why
you know so much regards electrics.

As for copying and pasting; I learn from my elders and betters, I use time
honoured and established principles, and I know why (I don't go to a reg
and say, erm. I'm almost brainless but I can read so I'll do what the reg
says. If I use regs it is because I must, not because it is all I can do.).

As for insults, re-read all the posts you mixed up histolluff. You'll see
who needs the greater exercises in creative thought.

Call your mother, it's time you stopped sucking daddy's penis and she
changed your diper.

--
Billy H

"I'm an evil Scotsman and Jock is my name,
If you don't like the rules don't play the ****ing game!"