Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Heat Pump vs aux propane heat

wrote:
Interesting argument- that you used a lot of propane because of
night-time setback. If one follows from the other, something in
between is totally hosed, and is the cause. Or something totally
separate is screwed up. Like- leak, erroneous meter reading, whatever.

Night setback tends to kick in the backup for two reasons. First
consider when the set back is likely to be canceled. Usually in the morning
at the coldest part of the day. Far more likely to kick in if for no other
reason that it is not too cold outside. I don't know about their control
systems, but I would not be surprised if they detected the difference
between the set temp and the current temp and would decide that it was going
to need to kick in the backup source to help bring up the temperature in a
reasonable amount of time.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit