Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

Default Blum Hinge Preference 38N vs Compact 33

"Les Andersen" wrote in message

I know (Google archive search) that Leon uses 38N (by the

hundreds!)
and I am tempted to use the 38N just because he uses them and he seems to
know what he's doing. However, I am curious as to whether the 38N or the
Compact 33 is preferable in a given situation. Is
the 3 way adjustment more of a benefit than the 2 piece hinge?

In a word, yes.

Is the cup depth difference significant?

Normally, no.

Really six of one, half dozen of the other, but the adjustability of the 38N
is a plus for those little tweaks after things settle in, which is probably
why Leon likes them so much ... and knowing Leon, the price and not having
to buy the mounting plates separately.

That said, I prefer the Compact 33's because they are what I started with,
they seem to be used by more commercial cabinet makers so there always seems
to be one or two extra hanging around when you need it the most, I like the
way the mounting plate looks when attached to a 3/4" face frame, they do
open further, and I haven't found the lack of being able to tweak the fit
like on the 38N to be a problem in actual practice.

But that's just my preference.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05