Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk

Default OT - Tim Daneluk

Joe Barta wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Public schools need to be abolished pure and simple.

My feeling is that the Federal government should get out
of the education business

This would give the local governments time to ramp
up to accomodate it.

This would put big pressure on the local
governments to either outsource or privatize the schools.

Ok, I'm little confused. Let me see if I understand your point of
view...

a) Public schools should be abolished.

Ideally, yes ... over time and in the best practical way so
as not to create a tidal wave of problems for a society already
addicted to public education.

b) The federal govt should get out of the education business.

The sooner the better. Even if the States and Municipalities
staying the public education business, the simple act of getting
the Feds out would be an enormous improvement to what we have today.

c) It should be a local govt matter

At *most* a local government matter.

d) Local governments should take responsibility for education but
outsource it... OR... preferrably get out of the education business
altogether.

Again, ideally the case.

e) Ideally all education should be done in the home by parents or in
private schools and there should be no public involvement in education
whatsoever. The government's role in educating our youth should be no
bigger a priority than the government's role in doll collecting.

Yup. The only exception to this is the exception that always exists: If
the treatment of minor children constitutes child abuse, then the
government has to interdict. Ideally, childrens' care is an issue
entirely for parents and non of the Government's business. But when
parents fail in that obligation, Government has the legitimate role of
speaking on behalf of the minor citizen who is legally presumed to be
unable to act in their own interest (at least not completely so). This
should be a choice of last resort. Say a parent is conciously failing to
educate a child and Government has to remove them from that home. The
answer is not to place them in a public home and educate them
publicly. The answer is to work with private-sector charities to find
an appropriate accomodation. We've been doing some of this for years and
it works. There used to be Government-run orphanages which were just
horror shows. Now most States work to find private placement for
children with people who will actually care for them. It is an imprefect
solution but better than totally collectivizing the whole process.

f) Since the government's (federal, state or local) role in education
is ideally zero, the government should also not attempt to set any
standards for educational proficiency. It's a purely market driven
matter.

Yup.

I may have taken a few liberties, but do I understand you correctly?

Yup.

Joe Barta

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key: