Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George Saridakis

Default Long & Wrong musings of a miserable COC (read at your own risk)

Hi Arch,

When I first started selling my work, I used a lit magnifier to inspect the
quality of my finish and noticed that I had visible sanding swirls even
though I used the Beall system after my oil finish. The issue was that I
stopped sanding at 320 grit.

Once I started going to 800 grit, I eliminated most swirls, cocobolo and
qulted maple being the major exceptions. I started using Micro-Mesh, and
have eliminated visible swirls in the problem woods.

As to why I do this, the display stands I use at shows put my work within
10" of (6)45W Halogen bulbs which are unmerciful with respect to sanding
swirls. So I do this as part of my quality commitment to my customers.

George