clare @ snyder.on .ca

Default OT. Metal joist hanger deterioration with pressure treated wood

On 26 Sep 2003 03:49:10 GMT, (ShakasCaregiver)
wrote:

Just took apart a deck that is about one year old. The chemicals in the
pressure treated wood have the galvanized joist hanger rusting already.
Looking in the front of the Simpson Strong Tie joist hanger catalog it says
they don't reccomend using galvanied metal next to pressure treated wood. No
one I have talked to is aware of this. Anybody got ideas how long till the
hangers would fail?
The decks of Americia may start to come tumbling down? Yikes!

That's why I use cedar. Nature's pressure treated wood - and
non-corrosive. Also why you use coated deck screws in PT construction,
not bright-dipped or galvanized nails or screws.