Fdmorrison

Default Cutting Internal Threads 101

(JMartin957)

Not to the center of the bore, but toward the headstock. You want the
cutting
force to be acting against the feed, not with it. Otherwise, the feed may
not
be steady.

The same thing, really, as climb milling. OK if you have good leadscrews and
tight gibs, but pretty jumpy if you don't. With threading, the jumps wil
give
you a wobbly thread.

I understand, and I like the comparison to climb milling.
What I was thinking (prompted by your post) was that the internal thread cutter
bounces not only ahead, but--because it's on a shaft behind it, rather than on
an arbor--moves also up and out of the cut.
But I like the comparison you've made.
FM