Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Drill bits

"Charlie S." wrote in message

From time to time I break bits because the materials I am going through
might be too difficult to get through. I generally replace with Black
oxide bits. The 1/8" drill bit package I have indicates it's good for
wood, plastic and soft metal.

What material is braking them? I can't remembe the last time I broke a bit.
Perhaps yo are buying a cheap brand made of junk material. Try a better
brand from an industrial supply house. NOT WalMart of Home Depot.

I'd like to know what types of bits I should be buying. Sometimes I do
need to go through a piece of metal. Most times I work with wood. Should
I have two sets of bits... one for metal the other for wood?

Most good twist drill can do both. For some applications I use brad point
bits for wood as they leave a flat bottomed hole.

Another question. This one about my cordless drill. It's a cheap model,
but serves my purposes. I find that even though I hand tighten the bit
receptor, occasionally the bit stops spinning as the receptor losses its
grip.

So then it is really not serve its purpose if the drill bit does not turn.
The operative word is cheap. Buy a better brand with a good chuck and the
problem will go away. I've had cheap drills boht with keyed and hand
chucks. They slipped. My Panasonic never slips and works with one hand.
It was $180 or so though.

Do better cordless drills have the same problem?

Can happen, but is rare.