Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

Default the different between monitor& the TV

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
I would like to know what I need to used the computer monitor as a TV.
is it right if I get a TV tuner how I could connect the TV tuner to the
monitor cable

is this possible& easy to do ?

Some computer monitors accept a composite etc video feed.

If not, you'll need a composite/S-Video/RGB to SVGA adaptor which is
rather more than a cable. And of course a TV tuner.

A TV tuner, SVGA adaptor and SVGA monitor is likely to cost more than the
equivalent TV.

I just picked up this nifty little unit made by Viewsonic, which does
exactly what the OP wants and more. I got it at a place in Nashville
called Essex Technologies. (They used to be a big Ebay company until
they got caught shilling.)

Anything in Essex' store is a closeout, overrun, salvage or
whatever...not A stock; so possibly is no longer available anywhere else.

The cool thing about it, is that it *is* a TV tuner, accepts composite
S-Video, VGA, RF and stereo audio ins...as well as audio, VGA outs...is
scaleable from 640x480 to 1024x768, comes with a IR remote and was only $50!

It's basically a component video tuner/switcher with VGA (only) out and
'thru'.

To top it off, it's very small...uses OSD for all indicators.

I have it in the bedroom, where I already had a computer, and didn't
want to make room for a TV.

jak