Jon Elson

Default stopping a diesel

Engineman1 wrote:

I'm thinking of bypassing the stop button with a normally closed relay which
when the keyswitch is turned on will open and release the solenoid which is
stopping the fuel supply. When the key is turned off the solenoid will be
energised and cut off the fuel. Since we don't want to run the batteries dead
over a long period we'd have a time delay relay to cut off the power to the
solenoid and itself after say, 5 minutes.

This may burn out the solenoid, and you won't be able to shut it off
except by
the manual override. Why on earth do you need 5 minutes for a Diesel to
stop
turning? It should stop in 5 seconds, easily! Maybe set the time delay
for 10 seconds
or so.

This I hope is a simple method of
accomplishing this purpose with easily obtained materials and not having to
make major changes to the system, or is there a loophole in ny logic?

Well, yes. If the solenoid needs to be activated AFTER the key is off,
then the
timer needs to be powered all the time. So, the TIMER will run the
battery down.
That will take longer that the solenoid would, but in a couple of days
the battery
will be dead. Hmm, I suppose there could be some relay arrangement that
would
keep the timer powered on until it was done, then turn it off, also.

Jon