Posted to rec.woodworking
Dana Miller

Default Are you as careful with everything as you are with your woodworking?

In article ,
B a r r y wrote:

Brian Henderson wrote:

Is there anything else in our lives, as woodworkers, where we're as
exacting as we are when we're out in the shop?

Flying. I check my flight planning more than my cutlists, and put up
with comments about "anal" preflight inspection. G

Barry

People who complain about pre-flight checklists should be offered the
chance to walk. From about 5k ft.

Flying, like woodworking, involves large amounts of kinetic energy
which, improperly managed, is just a statistic waiting to happen. Many
interesting events in both fields are punctuated by people saying "Oh
****, what just happened". This is usually preceded by the person doing
something they've done a thousand times, and this time they didn't run
their safety check first.

It would not be at all unreasonable to print up safety checklists for
all my power tools and place them prominently by the power switches.

Short version
1). Make sure thing does not Kill You.
2). Turn on.

Make the young woodworkers read and follow them. Make them use hand
saws etc. for failing to follow them.

May be wise to add label to arbor nut wrenches too... Hold power cord
in other hand.

All old pilots I know are anal about their checklists.

--
Dana Miller