Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default air compressors

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm thinking about picking up a largish air compressor for amazon while
they have the $150 off sale. I'm thinking about these porter cable
models:

CPLKC7080V2 which is 7hp:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Good looking specs, but I have no familiarity with the compressor. SCFM
delivery rates are very nice - well more than you'll ever need by a long
shot. Ignore the suggested list price. No one sells compressors for the
suggested list.

and

C7550 which says 7.5hp:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Not enough information on this compressor to offer an opinion. I didn't
spend any time at all trying to find the model number with a google search
though.

Other than the HP rating, I can't see a difference. I think the
CPLKC7080V2 might be an older version. It's not listed on the porter
cable website. Does anyone have either of these?

Also any opinions of the maxus compressors on amazon? I've never heard
of them. But maybe they're made in the same chinese factories as the
PCs?

Maxus is a brand manufactured by Campbel Hausfeld and is an extremely good
compressor. Single stage, but it outputs like a two stage. Five year
warranty. It's manufactured right here in the US of A. All of CH's stuff
is... or at least they were. If they're made off shore now, it's a fairly
recent development. Which model Maxus are you looking at? Check the CH web
site for factory repaired compressors. You can often find very good deals
there, though the warranty might not be quite the same as a new one.

Watch out for names like Porter Cable on a compressor. The tools guys don't
manufacture a compressor and all they do is take a stock unit from one of
the three or four manufacturers out there, have it painted the way they
want, and sometimes throw in an extra like a pressure gauge, or a switch.
Look carefully at CH as they manufacture most of the private label
compressors. Look at DeVilbiss as well, though I can't remember if they got
bought out or not. Just be careful with names that have appeal because of
their tool legacy - like I say, they don't build the thing and 99% of the
time they don't even spec one. This is a market where you're talking
off-the-shelf stuff.

--

-Mike-