Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise

Default Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:32:42 +0000, Pooh Bear wrote:
Reg Edwards wrote:

But yes, all those
Land Rovers and Rolls and Jags are energy hogs.

Amongst the most polluting of energy hogs are aircraft engines.

Ban all motor vehicles and airliners and let the World slow down!

Airbus quote 3 litres of fuel used per 100 pasenger km - approx
equivalent to ~ 50 UK mpg or ~ 40 US mpg. Better than a car with a
sole occupant at least.

Of course the long distance of many airline flights means a large
amount of fuel is used. Chances are most ppl would think twice about
the need to visit their their destination if they had to drive.

I've been on a couple of excruciatingly long overseas flights - like,
14 hours of cruising across the Pacific[1], and I wonder where the hell
they keep all of that fuel? The fuel lines on those engines are, like,
2" (5 cm) or so in diameter! (well, the ones I've seen on USAF fighter
jets.)

Thanks!
Rich
[1] I took along a copy of Frank Herbert's "Dune", and it turned out
that watching the ocean go by in the moonlight was measurably less boring,
and infinitely more comprehensible! ;-)