Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Harrison

Default Electrical regs question - adding a socket to a fused spur.

On 13 Feb 2006 13:32:58 -0800, "jim_in_sussex" wrote:

Steve S wrote:
"Sparks" wrote :

I think so, but it would be better to connect to the input of the spur (Or
place a junction box on the cable between the spur and the consumer unit,
and connect to that), then you have a socket that wont blow a fuse if
something bigger was plugged in to it at a later date (and take out the
heating system!)

Thanks for that. Good point about taking the heating out. The thing that
worries me about having a socket on the immersion heater/CH radial is the
mixed use aspect. Would someone coming later realise that they need to throw
the CH MCB to isolate that socket? Perhaps clear labelling at both socket
and in the CU might be sufficient?

doubt very much that a 13A socket complies with regs for at least 2
reasons (1) circuit load - a 13A socket is normally assumed to require
a 20A spur or 32A ring that + your heating load & your circuit is
overloaded (2) under diversity you can't average down a heating load.

One option is to consider using 2 amp unswitched round pin sockets - eg
see www.tlc-direct.co.uk - stock item no MK K770. You'd need to feed
this through a 2A fused spur, but that might keep you within your
circuit maximum load & prevent any future misuse of the socket. You'd
have to find an adapter to go 13A to 2A or change the plug on your
router.

Even so it doesn't feel entirely satisfactory & personally I'd look
hard to see if it really couldn't be hooked into a 'proper' 32A ring.

HTH

How about putting a fused spur unit and the 13a socket in one of those double-unit back-boxes, so
the socket had its own fuse, say 2 or 5A, suitably labelled of course. Can't see why this wouldn't
be OK from the technical or safety point of view, don't know about what the regs say. This would
certainly better than some 2A-13A adapter arrangement being used on a plug-in wall-wart (I'm
assuming it's the type with an integral plug).