Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Mudding-how do I know when I'm done?

Larry Bud wrote:
Ok, finally got all the drywall up, and the first coat of mud is on
there.. I sanded like a mother yesterday, ignoring most advice and
using 150-220 grit on my random orbit sander, since like most
amateurs, we put way too much mud on.

It really worked well and with the shop vac attached right to the dust
port, there was hardly any dust hanging in the air.

The question I have is, how do I know how many coat I need to do? I
hear 3, with the 3rd being a skim coat. Maybe some basics you could
tell me like

How wide should I expect a tape joint to be feathered?
How to determine if flat is flat enough? (i'm using a bright halogen
on an angle to the wall to detect any shadows).

It is difficult to describe in words. I suggest you buy some paint and
once you think it may be OK paint across some of the joints and let the
paint dry. If you can see the joint, it time to get back to work.

Once you get the hang of it, there is little sanding needed. I usually
use three coats, first with a mid small knife, next a wider knife and
finally with a wide knife. I often end up going back a fourth time to
correct some of the errors I make along the way. I am no way a pro, it
takes me far longer than a pro to do the work, but the final results are
better than some pros and not as good as others.

As for the skim coat. It is popular in some areas and not in others. If
I had the ambition or the money to pay a pro to do it right I would do it.
I like the look, but many people don't.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit