Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Default Garage to House Sheetrock firewall penetrations, Expanding Ring?

Scott Townsend wrote:

Our building inspector said that we need to have a 'ring' around anything
that penetrates the Sheetrock firewall that is between the garage and the
house.

This 'ring' goes around Drain/Vent Pipe, Dryer Duct, Electrical Wires, etc.
and when it gets hot, it expands to collapse the hole. The HVAC guy called
it a medicock ring, though in doing some searching for it I came up with
some, er um, interesting sites.

Thanks,
Scott-

I think the word he was looking for was "intumescent".

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...1/ai_114475693
http://www.firestopproducts.com/faqs.html
http://www.idsemergencymanagement.co...upplier_4.html
http://www.newportpartnersllc.com/IR...ent_Paint.html