Eric R Snow

Default stopping a diesel

SNIP
He's technologically impaired (he had a VCR for 2 years before I pointed out
to him that it was one of those that can't be programmed-he was surprised when
he found out that he could push the scan button on his car radio to find
stations automatically and he has a cellphone but carries phone no's on a piece
of paper.
I'm thinking of bypassing the stop button with a normally closed relay which
when the keyswitch is turned on will open and release the solenoid which is
stopping the fuel supply. When the key is turned off the solenoid will be
energised and cut off the fuel. Since we don't want to run the batteries dead
over a long period we'd have a time delay relay to cut off the power to the
solenoid and itself after say, 5 minutes. This I hope is a simple method of
accomplishing this purpose with easily obtained materials and not having to
make major changes to the system, or is there a loophole in ny logic?
Engineman1

Not to be flippant, but since he carries phone numbers on a piece of
paper maybe the best solution would be to print the start and shutoff
instructions on a card, laminate it, and post it above the ignition
switch. Even better, engrave it on a piece of brass or that laminated
plastic used for name plates. It seems that he would understand this
better and anybody who is competent to service the boat won't find
anything unusual when it needs to be serviced away from home.
ERS