Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

Default Mortising machine: what to buy

Bought the HF unit - have about the same needs as you. Went on ebay and
bought some extra chisel/bit combos. Much better than the HF originals and
the combo works fine. There are quite a few excellent quality chisel/bit
combos available that fit the HF unit. Cut 120 1/2" mortises with no problem
other than boredom.

YMMV,

Vic

"Cyrille de Brébisson" wrote in message
hello,

Iam planning to buy a mortising machine for an upcomming project, but I
have a few questions.

- is it really worth it?
- is the $99 HF machine good enough for light usage (like a 1 project a
month type thing)
- I imagine that the HF mortising bits are crap (this type of stuff
usually is crap at HF), but how crap are they really, how much should I
expect to pay in a "real" place (woodcraft) for the bits

any advices?

thanks, cyrille