Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Cap

Default Help with disconnecting a washing machine

On 13 Feb 2006 11:40:17 -0800, "mollymoonbeam"
wrote:

Hi

Thanks for that, but one of my friends said something today about
having to disconnect cold and hot water valves and having to use a
special tool to "cap off" these valves, and it was best to call out a
plumber. Is that right?
If all I have to do is unplug it then I feel a bit silly for coming on
here, but I'll also be pleased if that's the case.

Many thanks

Sorry if I was a bit brief, for some reason I read it as if you were
OK with the water side of things.

Usually there are one or two, depending if it has cold and hot feeds,
little taps that you can turn off before unscrewing the hoses.

Although they are intended to be hand tightened, almost certainly you
with need a small pipe wrench to get them off.

If there are no taps as was the case with my neighbours, then indeed
you will have to turn the water off, both hot and cold if they are
both present and then block the feeds in some way before turning it
back on again. I think if there are no taps, you are looking for a
co-operative neighbour perhaps. ;-)

Andy