Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Default Lennox Air Handler Noise

Al Moran wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:00:01 -0600, RobertM
wrote:

The problem is not the filter itself, but the grille that covers the
filter. I took the grille off and everything is quiet. The vanes of the
grille are such that the air whistles as it goes through. I'm making a
wooden grille to replace the cheap metal grille and that should fix the
problem. If it were something big, I'd go to the BBB and all of that,
but since this is not some major part of the system, I'm not going to
make a supreme court case out of something that I can easily repair in
one evening. Yeah, I could fight them and win. Yes, it should have been
done correctly and yes, the installer is at fault, but it'll be more of
a hassle to fight them than to fix it myself. I am going to call Lennox,
though, and try to get an owner's manual.

Bob

How many tons is the system? What is the size of the return duct? I
have seen a lot of whistling grates be caused by undersized ducts. I'd
be concerned about that if I were you. You may have a larger problem
than you realize.

It's a 1.5 ton and the return filter size is 16 x 20.

Bob