Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Long & Wrong musings of a miserable COC (read at your own risk)

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Why" is an endlessly-debatable philosophical question. "How" can have
the same answer for everyone. Style and substance, sizzle and steak,
faith and science.

George, the 'why' questions I was thinking of seek more of a scientific
answer rather a philosophic one. Questions like why is the sharpening
angle of a skew more acute than that of a roughing gouge, or why is the
bevel so important, or why is the way we use our body during turning so
important.

Don't see any absolutes there, Derek. Of course, the bevel on my skew is
about the same angle as the roughing gouge, about 1.25:1 of the thickness,
except it's sharpened on both sides. That's because my roughing gouge skews
across the wood. People who try to stuff the nose into spinning work would
certainly benefit from limiting the bite. Personally I wouldn't use the
tool that way at all.

Now my beading tool is sharpened at 1.5:1 or maybe even more. People who
spin their wood faster'n I do would be well advised to sharpen a bit more
blunt so the heat can be carried away better, though.

Sounds like this business of bevels depends on a lot of other things,
doesn't it?

As to bodies, I'm constantly amazed that people disdain toolrest support and
end up trying to lean the tool in and control it with small muscle. No
wonder they get digs. Of course, that's _why_ I use different tools, my
turning philosophy is outsmart not outmuscle.