Carl Byrns

Default '85 Toyota Truck - Engine Dilemma

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:49:05 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

Now I don't want to get rid of my 1-ton because it is really rare and
since I do metal fab, that 1-ton suspension has been really useful.
I spent a lot of time and money over the last year replacing a lot of
parts on the truck.
What I want to do is bring the truck back to life.

Then you need to do a complete and brutally honest inspection of the
truck- nothing like dumping a ton of money into the engine only to
have the electrical system go up in flames. Seen it.

Any pickup that's worked for a living and has that many miles on it
will likely have started to sag in the middle- it's inevitable- and is
probably getting ready for some big-bucks front end work. Not to
mention dried out rubber body seals and brake hoses and a lot of other
stuff that just ages.

I love this truck.

Never love something that can't love you back.

If you do decide to rebuild the 22R, you should replace the timing
chain- when they get old, they break suddenly and smash the expensive
timing case casting to smithereens.

-Carl