Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Part P conudrum.....

Tim S wrote:

Contains a direct link to the Newcastle case:

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/e...story_continue

Shocking! as they say ;-)

All three were acting as professional electricians to the public.

As far as I can see all three cases involved not working to IEE Wiring Regs,
including some fundamental and dangerous bodgery and using a NICEIC logo
without being actually members.

This also represents an element of fraud as well... he was selling
something he was not legally in possession of i.e. NICIEC membership and
the ability to personally provide certified work.

So, my analysis: In the cited cases, they deserved it. I'm surprised that
the Newcastle and Carlisle case didn't result in gaol time, personally.

Difficult I guess since nothing bad happened - even though the potential
was there (also without seeing the instalation yourself it is hard to
judge just how bad it was e.g. things like was the cable sizing correct,
could the required disconnect times be met etc).

I also stand by my earlier point that LBAs aren't interested in going to
court except in extreme cases. All 3 cases seem to classify as relatively
extreme. Bear in mind, that's 3 prosecutions of tradesmen in over a year -
not a high percentage of all the "illegal" work that probably going on.

probably not...

No DIY prosecutions (yet) and I don't really forsee any, unless someone does
something stupid and dangerous, in which case it might just be used as a
chargeable offence where someone gets a shock of the house burns down. In
all 3 cases, it would appear that Wiring Regs were not followed. If the
work had been to standard, but not notified, I wonder what the magistrates
would have done? Thing is, that I doubt that the LBA would bother bringing
such cases to court unless they've had a really bad day.

It does not seem to be the LBA "way" - I get the impression they only
follow the legal route when they are unable to curtail/amend incorrect
work via advice and negotiation. If the only fault had been the failure
to submit a BNA and the work was otherwise correct and done to standard
it seems unlikely they would have spent the time and effort.

--
Cheers,

John.