Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Female flare to pipe fitting?

On 13 Feb 2006 06:03:39 GMT, Ignoramus8228
wrote:

I have a vacuum pump with a flare cross fitting (two 3/8" and what
looks like 1/8" flare). This fitting is very well set in the pump and
I could not unscrew it with about 50 ft lbs of force (guesstimated). I
do not want to use more force and would prefer to get an
adapter. Something like 3/8" flare to 1/4" NPT. The catch is that the
adapter must be female flare, not male, as it usually happens. I
looked in usual placed like our local hardware store and McMaster, and
did not find much. Any suggestions?

Just flare a bit of copper tubing and silverbraze it to a 1/4" NPT
fitting. 1/4" NPT is too leaky for good vacuum but it might work
OK with pipe dope down to 1 torr or so.