Old Nick

Default '85 Toyota Truck - Engine Dilemma

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:49:05 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

I am no mechanic. Just a DIY nut with lots of motors.

I tried posting this over at the Toyota truck newsgroup and got no
help, so back to RCM is it.

3 weeks ago my 85 Toyota 1-ton blew it's rod bearing.
Instead of replacing the engine again, I opted for another truck.
I got a 86 extra-cab, longbed (yes it has both and is really long) in
excellent condition.

Now I don't want to get rid of my 1-ton because it is really rare and
since I do metal fab, that 1-ton suspension has been really useful.
I spent a lot of time and money over the last year replacing a lot of
parts on the truck.
What I want to do is bring the truck back to life.
I have to choose how to do that.
It currently has the Fuel Injected 22REC engine.
A good rebuilt one is around $1500-$1600.
A junkyard pulled engine is like $400-$700 as far as I can find.

There is the option of a Buick or Chevy small-block V-6, but it just
looks like too much trouble.

Don't know about your insurance people, but when I looked into this
they were pretty leery of any mods.

I am thinking about rebuilding the engine myself.
I have a metal fab shop, and since I have the '86 to drive for now there
is no immediate hurry.

On the '85 I have done everything except the engine itself,
I have been leery of actually getting inside the engine without
training, or at least supervision.

My first rebuild. I did up my Stout petrol motor years ago. I was
nervous. I had had the top off a motor bike engine, but that was it.

If you are a "rebuild virgin", get another old engine and do that up.
That's what I did. I got an old junked motor, and pulled it down, and
built it up. I replaced no parts, but felt happier about diving in
after that. I had seen where everything went.

It was much later that I blew up the Stout motor by not re-seating the
distributor properly on a "minor" (read less care!) job. No oil pump
drive. Defective oil light. D'OH.

So that was why I rebuilt that engine twice G.

When you first want to start the engine, make sure all the warning
lights are red, before you ever turn that motor over!

One thing. I have told this against myself before. Don't try to assess
the situation. Be the Meccano man who disassembles and reassembles. I
bought all the right gear: micrometers, inner and outer; dial gauges;
you name it. I was only going to "do the necessary work" to save
money. I took all sorts of measurements and had bugger all idea what I
was looking for. I took the motor bits down to the engineering shop.
The guy stuck his finger in the bore and scratched the ring ridges
with his nail..."hmmmm 30 thou "(or whatever) "or so I reckon"....
"hmmmm....two oversized on the big end" etc etc....Bah! They did all
the machining, and sold me a rebuild kit to fit.

I can buy a rebuild kit for around $400, but is it better to rebuild
the engine in the truck or on a bench?

Bench. Bench.Bench. Did I say Bench?

If this is a single-cab, then lifting the engine should be easy.

Rebuilding on a bench is:
- clean
- controllable
- a joy
- getting the engine in and out is a PITA. Working on the motor
itself on the bench is fascinating and almost meditative. I did the
motor, gearbox and clutch. I still remember doing it with joy. I had
never touched any of these before. Took my time (like you I had other
transport). An engine, and also a gearbox, is a wonderful thing.
- working in-vehicle is terrible.

Maybe a rotating engine stand would be the next step. But have a clean
bench right next door. _Lots_ of boxes for bits. At least 20-30 boxes.
Each to be labelled. Sounds anal, but it can make things easier.
Probably the better you get, the less you need the boxes G

The tranny was last done about 150,000 miles ago, but can't be tested
until I get a working engine on it.

Assuming manual. No crunches at gearchange? No grumbling or whining?

But definitely look at doing the clutch and flywheel while the engine
is out.

The truck has 265,000 on it.
The factory engine died at 185,000, and I got about 80,000 out of the
rebuilt one I bought 7 years ago.
I have had this truck since 89, and it has been cared for, but also
USED a lot.

I love this truck.

AH. Now THERE'S the problem G

There is some question whether the block is worth rebuilding since it
might be too damaged.

By what? The engine failure, or a weakness of the block? Whatver, this
is eomsthing you can only tell when you get it down to the engineering
shop. maybe point out that _you_ have a source of blocks, so thaye are
not tempted?

I figure I could get a pulled block from a local junkyard, and just
rebuild the engine on a bench.

I ask because my Dyna (diesel) may well have a cracked head. It's
really hard to get an uncracked head secondhand If I get one welded up
it may crack again. New ones cost a fortune, but I thought I had to go
that way. Then it occurred to me that since it's impossible to get a
secondhand uncracked head, then there are probably dozens of these
motors toodling around with cracked heads, including maybe mine, happy
as larry. G Sorry.I digress.

Thoughts?

Also what is the best book on rebuilding a 22R?

Genuine Toyota manual. My Dyna one is amazing. The Stout one was also
very good. If you have trouble try www.jensales.com.
Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
The rest sit around and make snide comments.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )