Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Default Adjust a commercial door closer in an apartment complex

First, you need to find out what brand and model closer you are
looking at.

One of the big names in closers is LCN. Their website is he
http://www.lcnclosers.com/ I am not sure that the site has
instructions on setting the closer.

Another major player is Norton:
http://www.assaabloydss.com/library/...10%2D000%2Epdf
This .PDF file shows the adjusters. Swing and latch on one end,
back check on the other.

Almost all brands do something similar. The adjustments will be
Allen wrench recessed socket head screws. Not all closers have a
back check valve. They will all tend to have a swing speed and
latch speed adjustment. Some will have a power level adjustment,
which is what I suspect you are calling a speed adjustment.

All the closers I know of slow their motion by turning the
adjustment clockwise. One full turn is a huge adjustment, it will
usually be more like a 1/4 or 1/2 turn adjustment to fine tune a
feature, at least once it is in the ball park. Most are shipped
in the ball park.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"loninappleton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not strictly a home repair question but I have nowhere else to
go.

Where can I find an exploded diagram of how thse things work:
backswing,
speed of closure and so forth?

The closer here has one visible adjustment for speed in the end
of the
cylinder.

Also at the end of the cylinder are 3 equal spaced indents which
look
like
sockets for some custom tool.

I know how the screw works to adjust the speed.

1.) How is the back swing adjusted?

2.) Are there separate adjustments at each end of the cylinder?
The
cylinder
has those 3 indents at both ends.

any leads to manuals pdfs on such devices would help.

I'm going to make a simple makeshift tool of a stick of wood and
3
screws from
a tracing of the end of the cylinder. But I still need to know
what to
do with it.