Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man

Default Sump Pump Basins

You really shouldn't consider any material alteration to
the foundation, etc until you understand how it was
built and what will damage it. There is likely
a book at the library.

In a nutshell, when they pour a foundation, they dig
the shape and erect concrete forms. The footings are
poured first. After they cure, the walls are poured.
After they cure, the floor is poured. None of these
major components bond to one another. It is not
practical to seal the coves.

Even if you didn't mind frequent standing water in
your basement, it would likely rot the foundation
of your home.

So the recommend is that you, like many of us, learn
to live with your sump system. Perhaps a battery backup
if you have frequent power failures. Definitely
monitor pump age/funtioning, replace as needed.

Good Luck,
Puddin'

On 12 Feb 2006 16:01:44 -0800, wrote:

I understand what a sump pump is designed to do but I was wondering if
there is a method to seal the basement. And I know it's probably a
dumb idea to fill it in and it probably wouldn't work. But this summer
we lost power for two hours and the basin was filling up. So I had to
bail it out with a bucket for a solid two hours with the water rising
almost as fast as I could bail. Not fun. And I know I need to get a
battery backup for it. But at that time I had no idea.

When we get just a little bit of rain now the pump goes for 2 days
straight since the ground water level is so high. And plus I have this
hose sticking out of my basement spewing water down my driveway every
15 minutes.

I was wondering if there is a way to seal a basement so that no water
gets in. I mean we're in the modern age and there has to be something
a person can do to get rid of the basin and seal the basement.

I'm a novice when it comes to home repairs so I'm not sure what kind of
foundation I have. I believe they poured the slab then the walls.

Is there any way to seal the cove where the wall meets the floor?
Thanks for the reply.