mact

Default '85 Toyota Truck - Engine Dilemma

You might want to find the parts and what they cost first. Toyota parts are
not cheap.
michael

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
I tried posting this over at the Toyota truck newsgroup and got no
help, so back to RCM is it.

3 weeks ago my 85 Toyota 1-ton blew it's rod bearing.
Instead of replacing the engine again, I opted for another truck.
I got a 86 extra-cab, longbed (yes it has both and is really long) in
excellent condition.

Now I don't want to get rid of my 1-ton because it is really rare and
since I do metal fab, that 1-ton suspension has been really useful.
I spent a lot of time and money over the last year replacing a lot of
parts on the truck.
What I want to do is bring the truck back to life.
I have to choose how to do that.
It currently has the Fuel Injected 22REC engine.
A good rebuilt one is around $1500-$1600.
A junkyard pulled engine is like $400-$700 as far as I can find.

There is the option of a Buick or Chevy small-block V-6, but it just
looks like too much trouble.

I am thinking about rebuilding the engine myself.
I have a metal fab shop, and since I have the '86 to drive for now there
is no immediate hurry.

On the '85 I have done everything except the engine itself,
I have been leery of actually getting inside the engine without
training, or at least supervision.

I can buy a rebuild kit for around $400, but is it better to rebuild
the engine in the truck or on a bench?
The tranny was last done about 150,000 miles ago, but can't be tested
until I get a working engine on it.
The truck has 265,000 on it.
The factory engine died at 185,000, and I got about 80,000 out of the
rebuilt one I bought 7 years ago.
I have had this truck since 89, and it has been cared for, but also
USED a lot.

I love this truck.
There is some question whether the block is worth rebuilding since it
might be too damaged.
I figure I could get a pulled block from a local junkyard, and just
rebuild the engine on a bench.

Thoughts?

Also what is the best book on rebuilding a 22R?

I am also planning on converting the 1-ton to a flatbed.
It won't have the duallies, but that is fine.
I have wanted a flatbed really bad over the last 2 years, since I
started building a lot of heavy steel staircases.
Having one truck with an overhead rack and one with a flatbed is a
dream of mine.
I am going to add some booster springs to my 86 to take it to a 3/4 ton
suspension.