Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

Default Laser levels

Oops... forgot which account I was using... vv is me!

"vv" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Norman D. Crow" wrote:

I've looked real hard @ the Bullseye level, thinking about it's
"self-leveling" claim.

The cheaper 'self levelling' ones are only as good as the
'frictionlessness' (if there isn't such a word,well..too bad..lol) of
the bearings the laser is mounted on.
The errors are easily measured when you compare accuracy to a K & E 18"
WYE engineers level... and mine is 80+ years old.
Tip the laser one way, allow it to right itself (say from the bottom up)
and drop your cross hair onto the centre of the laser dot. Then tilt the
laser backwards and allow to settle from the top to the bottom.
You'll be less than impressed with the results.

IMHO, the Borg type of lasers are fine for fences and decks and a decent
choice for interior use, like kitchen cabinets. I wholeheartedly agree
with Swingman that 'good enough' is all it needs to be and the added
benefit is that you don't have to clean the pencil- and chalkline marks
off the wall.

But 'accurate??? Try dropping a couple of grand for starters.

IMHO, one is much better off to buy a decent mid-range dumpy level.
With all the rage for lasers, there are lots of used dumpies on the
market.

I've resisted the temptation of getting a laser level... I've had a water
level for about 25 years that I've used for leveling buildings, leveling
floors, leveling ceilings, installing cabinets, building decks, hanging
exterior siding, setting fence top levels, and for setting grade levels
for driveways, yards, retaining walls, foundations, etc.

I've got it filled with blue colored automotive windshield washer fluid so
I can see the water level easier and so it doesn't freeze. The batteries
are never dead, it only takes one guy to operate, the worse case scenario
for dropping it is having to add more washer fluid, you can set levels
outside line-of-sight (I've hung the water bottle inside the house and
marked level references on the all the outside walls of a house by
sticking the hose through window and door openings), and it was and is
cheap. The one I have uses water only, no electronic gizmo to bust or have
dead batteries!

John
Who cannot justify an electronic gizmo when water works just fine... ;~)