Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default What is it? CI

Mark Brader wrote:
Just for fun, OED says:
----
castellated ('kæst@leItId), ppl. a. [f. med.L. castella¯t-us (see above)
+ -ed. (Earlier than the vb.)]
[...]
c transf. Of a nut or disc: having grooves or recesses on its upper face.

1904 A. B. F. Young Complete Motorist iv. 74 Castellated nuts are
used throughout, with split pins. 1922 Times 20 June 8/5 The wheel and
consequently the castellated shaft will be rotated.
----

That must be the American OED. My Compact OED doesn't have that...

Well, sure, if you only look at a definition written in 1889, you won't
find a usage where the earliest cite is 1904, will you? Go to Volume 2,
page 3913, and you'll see the definition from the 1933 Supplement.

I'll be darned. Never looked at the supplement. I've only had it since
January.

er
--
email not valid